Dr Chao Wang
Senior Lecturer (Assosciate Professor) in Electronic Systems, University of Kent
Education & Qualifications:
- 2013 - 2015: Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE), University of Kent, UK
- 2006 - 2011: Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Ottawa, Canada
- 2002 - 2005: M.Sc. in Optics, Nankai University, China
- 1998 - 2002: B.Eng. in Opto-electronical Engineering, Tianjin University, China
2017 - Present: Senior Lecturer in Electronic Systems, School of Engineering and Digital Arts, University of Kent , UK
2013 - 2017: Lecturer in Electronic Systems, School of Engineering and Digital Arts, University of Kent , UK
2006 - 2011: Graduate Research Assistant, University of Ottawa, Canada (with Prof. J. P. Yao)
2010: Best Student Paper Award at the IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP 2010)
2010: Canadian Institute for Photonic Innovations (CIPI-S) Travel Award
2010: IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S) Graduate Fellowship (upto 10 Fellowships awarded per year world-wide)
2009: IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship (10 Fellowships awarded per year world-wide)
2009: IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Travel Grant
2009-2011: Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
2009: IEEE Photonics Society Ottawa Chapter Annual Best Student Paper Prize
2009: Best Student Paper Award at the Asia-Pacific Microwave Photonics Conference (APMP 2009)
2009: Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) Professional Outreach Award
2008-2009: Ontario Graduate Scholarship
(1) IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), IEEE Photonics Society and IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (Student Member since 2008, Member since 2011);
(2) OSA (Optical Society of America) (Student Member since 2009, Member since 2011);
(3) SPIE (International Society for Optical Engineering) (Student Member since 2007, Member since 2011)
(1) Member of Technical Program Committees:
- CLEO-PR/OECC/PGC 2017
- Asia Pacific Optical Sensors Conference (APOS 2016)
- SPIE Photonics West BiOS 2016, 2017
- International Conference on Optical Communications and Networks (ICOCN 2015, 2016)
- Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP 2015)
- The 20th OptoElectronics and Communications Conference (OECC 2015)
- Conference on Real-time Photonic Measurements, Data Management, and Processing in Photonics Asia 2014
- The 35th Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS 2014)
(2) Co-organizer and Co-chair
- 1st Mini-Symposium on Microwave Photonics in the PIERS 2014
- Focus Session on Real-time and High-Speed Measurements for Communication, Biomedical and Industrial Applications in PIERS 2014
- Sympoisum on Optical Metrology and Sensing in CLEO-PR 2017
- Co-Chair of Technical program sub-committee at CLEO-PR 2018
(3) Member of Executive Committee, OSA London Section (since 2013)
(4) Academic Counsellor of IEEE Student Branch at the University of Kent (Since 2015)
Regular Reviewer of Journals:
(1) IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics
(2) IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology
(3) IEEE Photonics Technology Letters
(4) IEEE Photonics Journal
(5) IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques
(6) IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement
(7) IEEE Communications Letters
(8) IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters
(9) IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters
(10) OSA Optics Express
(11) OSA Optics Letters
(12) OSA Optica
(13) OSA Applied Optics
(14) OSA Photonics Research
(15) OSA Chinese Optics Letters
(16) Nature Scientific Reports
(17) Nature Communications
(18) AIP Applied Physics Letters
(19) IET Electronics Letters
(20) SPIE Optical Engineering
(21) Elsevier Optics Communications
(22) Elsevier Sensors and Actuators B
(23) Journal of Modern Optics
(24) MDPI Sensors
(25) MDPI Photonics
(26) MDPI Electronics
(27) Wiley EEEE
Reviewer/Panelist of Programs and Grant:
(1) Remote Referee of European Research Council (2016-2017)
(2) Member of of EPSRC Peer Review College (2016- )
(3) Reviewer and Panelist of British Council Newton Fund (2014-2016)
(4) Reviewer of Israeli Ministry of Science and Technology Grants (2014)
(5) Reviewer of SPIE’s Optics and Photonics Science Fair Awards at the California State Science Fair (2012)
(6) Reviewer of OSA Foundation Robert S. Hilbert Memorial Student Travel Program (2011)
(7) Reviewer of OSA Foundation Jean Bennett Memorial Travel Grant Program (2011)
Grants and Funded Projects:
2019-2021 (PI): RCUK Catapult Researchers in Residence Award (EP/T51732X/1), “Data compressed ultrafast single-pixel microscopy for high-throughput imaging blood cell flow analysis (COUNTING)”.
2019-2021 (Co-I, with Prof. S. Gao (PI)): EPSRC Research Grant (EP/S005625/1), “Low-profile ultra-wideband wide-scanning multi-function beam-steerable array antennas”.
2018-2020 (PI): The Royal Society International Exchanges Grant (IEC\NSFC\170005), "Data compressed ultrafast single-pixel optical imaging using variable dielectric liquid lens".
2018-2020 (PI): The Royal Society International Exchanges Grant (IE170007), "Big data compression in ultrafast imaging using silicon photonics".
2016-2017 (PI) The Royal Society Research Grants (RG150036), "Photonic-enabled big data compression in ultrafast imaging".
2014-2017 (Co-I, with Dr N. Gomes (PI)) EU Horizon 2020 EU-Japan Cooperation Project (643297), "Radio Technologies for 5G using Advanced Photonic Infrastructure for Dense User Environment (RAPID)".
2014-2018 (PI) EU FP-7 Marie-Curie Career Integration Grant (CIG) (631883), "Next generation ULTrafast continuously running Imaging System for biomedical applications (NULTIS)". See local project page.
2014-2016 (PI) The Royal Society International Exchanges Grant (IE131158), "Integrated Microwave Photonics Signal Processing for High-speed Optical Imaging".
2014-2017 (PI, with Dr P. Young and Prof J. Stiens) University of Kent - Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) Collaboration Project, "Real-time Photonic Terahertz Coherence Tomography".
2014 (PI): Chunhui Academic Exchange Grant, funded by the Ministry of Education of China.
2014-2017 (Co-I, with Prof. N. Gomes (PI)) University of Kent 50th Anniversary PhD Studentship, "Optical fibre transport of MIMO/virtual-MIMO radio signals for 5G wireless/mobile systems".
2013-2017 (PI) University of Kent Faculty of Sciences Research Funds.
2011-2012 (PI): NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship, "Ultrafast optics based real-time spectroscopy".
EL027 Semiconductor and Digital Electronics (Foundation Year Module)
EL303 Electronic Circuits (Undergraduate Module)
EL318 Engineering Maths (Undergraduate Module)
CO324 Computer Systems (Undergraduate Module)
EL562 Computer Interfacing (2nd Year Project)
EL600 Project (Final Year Project)
EL892 Satellite and Optical Communication Systems (Graduate Module)
EL750 Systems Group Project (Graduate Module)
EL890 MSc Project (Graduate Module)
First Supervisor: 3 PhD students, 1 MSc student, 3 Academic Visitors, and 6 undergraduate stduents.
Co-supervisor: 3 PhD students, 5 MEng students.